Barack Obama has accomplished things that most people can only dream about. As you likely know, he has been elected to the United States presidency for two terms. He is also a bestselling author and philanthropist.
Barack Obama came from humble beginnings and was able to rise up to be one of the most powerful men in the world. Everyone can receive inspiration and wisdom from Barack Obama quotes.
Barack Obama lived in Hawaii with his mom. During his youth Barack Obama played basketball and took his studies seriously. Due to his intelligence and hard work he achieved a full scholarship to Harvard University. After graduating from college at the top of his class, Obama became a journalist in New York City.
Obama recognized that he could become a successful journalist if he worked his way up the ladder. He was a skilled writer and a hard worker. However, Barack Obama had different ambitions. He knew that he could make a difference through politics.
Before getting into politics Obama lectured at the University of Chicago. During this time he also worked on his first book, Dreams From My Father, a memoir about Obama’s past and the influence his race had on his life. He also served on the board of a law firm.
Barack Obama was elected to the Illinois state Senate. At the time he was known for his work in reducing racial stereotyping by police, and reforming the death penalty law. Obama won the election by a huge margin, which put him in media spotlight for the first time. He further cemented his status as one of the leaders of the Democratic party with his well-received speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention.
Obama had his eyes on the White House for years. He was determined to make a difference in the world and knew that being the president of the United States would be the best way to make an impact. He announced that he would run for the presidency in 2007.
Obama became the “people’s candidate”. He had a very high approval rating and received record-breaking amounts of campaign funds. While the election against John McCain seemed close in the beginning, Obama comfortably defeated him and became president of the United States. He proceeded to beat Mitt Romney, thus securing his second term in office.
Barack Obama is known for being different than most politicians. He emphasized that he was going to work to change things for the better throughout his campaign and presidency. Though Congress turned down many of his laws, he passed important bills including health care reform. He also removed the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy in the military.
Whether you agree with his politics are not, you have to admire Obama’s success story. He is an intelligent man so everyone can learn something from Barack Obama quotes.
Barack Obama Quotes On Personal Leadership
- Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. – Barack Obama
- I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that’s not what America’s about. Usually, our constitutions expand liberties, they don’t contract them.- Barack Obama
- If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.- Barack Obama
- We need to steer clear of this poverty of ambition, where people want to drive fancy cars and wear nice clothes and live in nice apartments but don’t want to work hard to accomplish these things. Everyone should try to realize their full potential.- Barack Obama
- We, the People, recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights; that our destinies are bound together; that a freedom which only asks what’s in it for me, a freedom without a commitment to others, a freedom without love or charity or duty or patriotism, is unworthy of our founding ideals, and those who died in their defense.- Barack Obama
- The future rewards those who press on. I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I don’t have time to complain. I’m going to press on.- Barack Obama
- Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq. We did. I promised to refocus on the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11. We have. We’ve blunted the Taliban’s momentum in Afghanistan, and in 2014, our longest war will be over. A new tower rises above the New York skyline, al Qaeda is on the path to defeat, and Osama bin Laden is dead.- Barack Obama
- It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label.- Barack Obama
- There is probably a perverse pride in my administration… that we were going to do the right thing, even if short-term it was unpopular. And I think anybody who’s occupied this office has to remember that success is determined by an intersection in policy and politics and that you can’t be neglecting of marketing and P.R. and public opinion.- Barack Obama
- “I began feeling the way I imagine an actor or athlete must feel when, after years of commitment to a particular dream…he realizes that he’s gone just about as far as talent or fortune will take him. The dream will not happen, and he now faces the choice of accepting this fact like a grownup and moving on to more sensible pursuits, or refusing the truth and ending up bitter, quarrelsome, and slightly pathetic. ” – Barack Obama
- I think what you’re seeing is a profound recognition on the part of the American people that gays and lesbians and transgender persons are our brothers, our sisters, our children, our cousins, our friends, our co-workers, and that they’ve got to be treated like every other American. And I think that principle will win out.- Barack Obama
- If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists – to protect them and to promote their common welfare – all else is lost.- Barack Obama
- “When we don’t pay close attention to the decisions made by our leaders, when we fail to educate ourselves about the major issues of the day, when we choose not to make our voices and opinions heard, that’s when democracy breaks down. That’s when power is abused. That’s when the most extreme voices in our society fill the void that we leave. That’s when powerful interests and their lobbyists are most able to buy access and influence in the corridors of power –- because none of us are there to speak up and stop them. – Barack Obama
- Participation in public life doesn’t mean that you all have to run for public office -– though we could certainly use some fresh faces in Washington. (Laughter and applause.) But it does mean that you should pay attention and contribute in any way that you can. Stay informed. Write letters, or make phone calls on behalf of an issue you care about. If electoral politics isn’t your thing, continue the tradition so many of you started here at Michigan and find a way to serve your community and your country –- an act that will help you stay connected to your fellow citizens and improve the lives of those around you.”- Barack Obama
- Today we are engaged in a deadly global struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction.- Barack Obama
- In a world of complex threats, our security and leadership depends on all elements of our power – including strong and principled diplomacy.- Barack Obama
- On every front there are clear answers out there that can make this country stronger, but we’re going to break through the fear and the frustration people are feeling. Our job is to make sure that even as we make progress, that we are also giving people a sense of hope and vision for the future.- Barack Obama
- With patient and firm determination, I am going to press on for jobs. I’m going to press on for equality. I’m going to press on for the sake of our children. I’m going to press on for the sake of all those families who are struggling right now. I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I don’t have time to complain. I am going to press on.- Barack Obama
- We didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world just by rewarding greed and recklessness. We didn’t come this far by letting the special interests run wild. We didn’t do it just by gambling and chasing paper profits on Wall Street. We built this country by making things, by producing goods we could sell.- Barack Obama
- In December, I agreed to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans because it was the only way I could prevent a tax hike on middle-class Americans. But we cannot afford $1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire in our society. We can’t afford it. And I refuse to renew them again.- Barack Obama
- The shift to a cleaner energy economy wont happen overnight, and it will require tough choices along the way. But the debate is settled. Climate change is a fact.- Barack Obama
- The thing about hip-hop today is it’s smart, it’s insightful. The way they can communicate a complex message in a very short space is remarkable.- Barack Obama
- Take off your bedroom slippers. Put on your marching shoes,’ he said, his voice rising as applause and cheers mounted. ‘Shake it off. Stop complainin’. Stop grumblin’. Stop cryin’. We are going to press on. We have work to do.- Barack Obama
- Money is not the only answer, but it makes a difference.- Barack Obama
- We have an obligation and a responsibility to be investing in our students and our schools. We must make sure that people who have the grades, the desire and the will, but not the money, can still get the best education possible.- Barack Obama